- [Matthijs R. Koot on Twitter: “U.S. DOD Instruction 5400.17 “Official Use of Social Media for Public Affairs Purposes” highlights threat of imposter accounts https://t.co/ywDNygB26o On p.20/21: (1) Reporting Fake or Imposter [..] Accounts. (2) Indications or Common Identifiers Associated w/Imposter Accounts. https://t.co/1iMqnyQcfn” / Twitter](https://mobile.twitter.com/mrkoot/status/1559971920359071745) –
- Risky Biz News: Clarifying the “DOD can’t use software with vulnerabilities” misunderstanding – InfoSec News
- When the Leader Believes In the People – John Maxwell Leadership Podcast – Am I living below my opportunity?
- Reid Hoffman – Adaptability Is the New Stability – Jordan Harbinger – Interesting episode with great advice for those starting in their career.
- Episode #488: Cassie Holmes – How To Expand Your Time, Focus On What Matters Most, & Live A Happier Life – The Learning Leader Show – Great interview with some actually actionable tips on increasing overall happiness.
- Jason Feifer – Build for Tomorrow – Jordan Harbinger – The only thing that doesn’t change is change. Build that into your mindset.
- Build your personal network.
- Build your skill stack.
- Pay off your debt to increase your runway for opportunity.
- https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRPKmdEg/ – great clip from Jocko on delegation
- What to Do Next with Jeff Henderson – John Maxwell Leadership Podcast
- “Opportunities flow to those who grow.”
- The most important thing to do next is just do the next wisest/best thing.
- Clear vision doesn’t always happen once you get an idea – you need to keep moving forward and building the vision.
- You need to build your personal network to ensure you have opportunities flowing to you.
- A side hustle is a great way to find out if what you think is the next best thing really is. The example given was owning a Chick-fil-a operations: if you can’t stand working a part-time job there, how will you be able to stand owning one?
- Finish well! Always leave things better than you found them.
- Motivation Podcast – Daily Boost With Scott Smith – MotivationToMove.com – Focus on the most important thing next and ignore the rest.
- Ask yourself: Am I the cause of my unfocused life?
- Risky Business #677 — A day late and a dollar short: China doxxes NSA op – Risky Business – I always go thru the show notes for at least one bit mentioned – the next link is a good example!
- A Windows 11 Automation Tool Can Easily Be Hijacked – WIRED – Another powerful tool with powerful holes.
Just when I thought life was settling down, we go and get another puppy! Little Remi brings the pack back to three. She has a big personality for a little pup, so I hope she brings some joy back to Rusty and Ellie. That will take some time – right now Ellie is afraid of her and Rusty isn’t sure what to do with her. I am grateful for a job and a team that gives me the flexibility to work from home part of the day to care for the pup.
- Benjamin Hardy – How to Be Your Future Self Now – Jordan Harbinger – Think about your future self as a friend you care about.
- Input -> Outcome
- Deliberate practice requires knowing your future self
- Begin with the end in mind
- Constraint theory
- Johann Hari – Why You Can’t Pay Attention—And What to Do About It – Jordan Harbinger – Another load of information about how Big Tech and lack of sleep are killing our ability to focus.
- Tessa West – How to Deal with Jerks at Work – Jordan Harbinger – Great tips to tuck in your “how to deal with people” KB.
- John Abramson – How Big Pharma Broke American Health Care – Jordan Harbinger – Jordan gets at the real reason why our healthcare cost so much – our government is failing us.
- 🗞️ UL NO. 343 [STANDARD EDITION] – Emergency Hack, Chinese Cobalt Strike, Solana Drainage –
- Risky Biz Soap Box: Okta’s Brett Winterford on session cookie theft and mitigations – Risky Business – More reason to move to FIDO and WebAuthN
- The Learning Leader Show With Ryan Hawk: 485: Ryan Holiday – The Power Of Self Control, Loving The Process, & Building Endurance (Discipline Is Destiny) – If I don’t do it, can someone else? What is your life’s task? Fortitude Vincimous – By endurance we conquer. Take care of your body to take care of your mind. Mattis – The privilege of command is command.
- – Jordan Harbinger – Great interview of how psychological factors influence our financial health more than anything else.
- Ten Tools for Gaining a New Perspective – John Maxwell Leadership Podcast – Great listen for leadership perspective.
- 🗞️ UL NO. 344 [STANDARD EDITION] – Blackhat/DEFCON, TikTok Lockdown, MailChimp Breach…
A bit behind on these due to my workload.
- My Ultimate Zsh and Vim Config [ July 2022 Version ] – Daniel Miessler – I finally tried both Daniel’s zsh customizations and neovim. Why didn’t I do this before now? My only difference is the use of iTerm2 instead of the normal Terminal app.
[image:EA455589-DFCA-495A-880F-7D80E6023795-2589-0000197F94AE9D5F/Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 3.43.04 PM.png]
- DNS over TLS available to Windows Insiders – Microsoft Tech Community – While an excellent privacy feature, I can see this being a real pain for administrators.
- Pigeons in the Iraq War – Pigeons of War – Very interesting find from the gruqg
- It was the same ambulance ride as her sister — so why did it cost so much more? : Shots – Health News : NPR – This is (literally) highway robbery. I wonder what my local ambulance ride would cost me?
- How to Get Your Phone to Stop Autocorrecting to ‘Ducking’ – Just in case you wanted to ducking know…
- Migrating From SCSI To NVMe on vCenter (Part 1 – Live Migration) – Cody Hosterman –
- 3-2-1: Eliminating tasks, optimizing for your interests, and sharing knowledge – James Clear – Sometimes the most productive thing you can do is eliminate the task.
- NRC to certify NuScale small modular reactor design for use in the US – Utility Dive – Finally starting to see some small-scale nuclear coming to fruition.
- TikTok owner ByteDance pushed a pro-China agenda to Americans, say former employees – Malwarebytes Labs – This is not surprising at all. One more reason to remove TikTok from your phone. But it is addictive…
- Biden wants an industrial renaissance. He can’t do it without immigration reform. – POLITICO – More reasons to beef up STEM education here in the US. And more than just cranking out ‘skilled workers’ on a two-year degree like SC is doing.
- Time and focus and energy – Seth’s Blog – “When we give away our day, we give away our future.”
- Episode #483: Colin O’Brady – Doing The Impossible, Changing Your Mindset, & Crossing Antarctica Alone – The Learning Leader Show – Pulled a lot of nuggets from this one
- Watch out for those limiting beliefs, because we are the stories we tell ourselves.
- Spend more time in silence, alone with your thoughts.
- Lead yourself first
- Taking a day for yourself will help you be your best self where you are needed.
- Sustained excellence is the love of the game.
- Chinese Government Asked TikTok for Stealth Propaganda Account – Bloomberg – Social media is far more dangerous than an uneducated populace knows.
- Kansas No State Constitutional Right to Abortion and Legislative Power to Regulate Abortion Amendment (August 2022) – Ballotpedia – Y’all better start listening to your people if 60% of your population shows up and actually vote the same way.
The blog is back on WordPress. That change isn’t without a lot of irony, especially considering I’ve had to skim all of my old posts to get this completed. Life is just too busy to not prioritize my efforts. I would rather spend my time improving my leadership and creating content than pushing git updates. WordPress allows me to do just that.
I would still advise anyone to strongly avoid self-hosting. I would also recommend anyone with a busy life from using Jekyll. Focus on the things that bring you high value for the least effort, especially outside your core areas.
Yard work in 90+ temps and 100% humidity doesn’t agree with catching up on your podcasts. At least, not with AirPods.
- Risky Business #672 — “Expected behaviour” is in the eye of the beholder – Risky Business – as usual, an interesting listen.
- 5 Ways to Inspire Change – John Maxwell Leadership Podcast – Don’t let the most important todo wait in order to check off the easy, especially with organizational changes.
- Ioan Grillo – How America Arms Gangs and Cartels Part One – Jordan Harbinger – Discussion of the illicit gun trade and it’s impact on Latin America (2 parter)
Condoleezza Rice joins Broncos’ new ownership group: Former Secretary of State ‘will be a great benefit’ – CBSSports.com – So how does a former public servant have so much free capital?
Microsoft Windows Autopatch is Now Generally Available for Enterprise Systems – Too bad it requires a Microsoft E3 or E5 subscription. This should be a basic offering for any enterprise.
The Daily Swig – Cybersecurity news and views – Adding this to my RSS feeds.
How to be a Great Technical Interviewer – yield code(); – Interesting. This is a skill I need to build.
My Ultimate Zsh and Vim Config [ July 2022 Version ] – Daniel Miessler – I’m getting shell FOMO.
Fewer in U.S. Now See Bible as Literal Word of God – This makes a lot of sense considering the state of the US.
Governor Gavin Newsom announces California will make its own insulin – KION546 – How is this not happening at the federal level? More ammo to start replacing the old guard in DC.
Microsoft Warns of Large-Scale AiTM Phishing Attacks Against Over 10,000 Organizations –
Alleged Hunter Biden Leak Shows iCloud Can Be iPhone Security’s Weak Link – Just enable MFA. Seriously…just do it.
Thread by @RyanHawk12 on Thread Reader App – Thread Reader App – Great advice from @ryanhawk
Top 50 PowerShell Scripts for Microsoft 365 Admins – Office 365 Reports – This should be useful for someone.
Why Aspiring Influencers Should Build Their Brands on Their Own Domains – Daniel Miessler –
So You Want to Start a Blog… – Daniel Miessler – More ammo for me to move off Jekyll and manually tweaking every little thing.
Risky Biz Soap Box: Running a global vulnerability management program – Risky Business – One vulnerablity system to rule them all.
Peter Santenello – Inspecting Perspectives the Media Neglects – Jordan Harbinger –
Risky Business #671 – The case for an American-owned NSO Group – Risky Business –
The Greatest Gap In Life – John Maxwell Leadership Podcast –
Prioritizing the most important thing is the most important thing, not getting more time in your day.
John replies to all emails within 24 hours.
Why are you procrastination? Is it fear of failure?
I’ve switched up several things in my daily workstream. Like using Bear as my primary note and blogging app. I’m focusing on DayOne as my journalling app, but it also works really well for stream of consciousness writing. Trello is becoming my goto task tracker as it just works better for my work style. I’ve also switched over to Apple Podcasts from Overcast. Life is much simpler in the ecosystem.
Reading/Listening notes for the last few weeks:
1/4 through and great
Los of nugget from show guests
How to use Siri Shortcuts with Bear – FAQ & Support – Bear App – Converting my shortcut for capturing my reading from a text file to Bear notes.
Merill Fernando • 🇦🇺 • 🇱🇰 on Twitter: “Local Administrator Password Solution (LAPS) coming natively to a Windows device near you. What about Azure AD Joined devices you ask? 👇 https://t.co/CqcHLwNTjJ” / Twitter – Looks like LAPS will be native in Win11. Why did this take so long?
Apple introduces new professional training to support growing IT workforce – Apple – I wasn’t aware there was a cert or training program for Apple. Thanks to the IT Brew for this link.
MacAdmins.org – Slack group dedicated to helping other Mac admins.
Risky Biz Soap Box: HD Moore on taking Rumble to the cloud – Risky Business – Good interview with Rumble’s creator. I’ve been interested in this for a long time and would love to check it out more.
PodcastOne: 690: Jane McGonigal – How to See the Future and Be Ready for Anything – Looking at crazy future risk scenarios to build your resiliency.
Editing and formatting entries in Day One for iOS – Your Journal for Life – Day One – Use for developing my second brain process in day one
Markdown Guide – Your Journal for Life – Day One – Why am I using DayOne? Markdown support, privacy, tags, etc
The Apple II Documentation Project (Hacker News link) – A trip in the way back machine!
What you should ask a potential employer – Lobsters – Potential employer questions from a developer POV.
Episode #474: Jeffrey Pfeffer – How To Gain Power, Break The Rules, & Advance Your Career – The Learning Leader Show – Advice that runs contradictory to common leadership advice. I’ll be getting the 7 Rules Of Power (not to be confused with the 7 Laws of Power).
Episode #475: Chandler Bolt – The Life Changing Process Of Writing A Book… (How You Can Do It Right Now) – The Learning Leader Show –
Writing is crystallization of thought. Writing can build your career – you become an authority by becoming and author.
Chandler’s process for writing: mind map -> outline -> rough draft.
How does Chandler write books and remain a busy exec? He blocks out intense time, then relies on his team to handle things for him during these blocks. Block out time and be intense about it while you’re in that time. Have a solid team to support you during your windows, trust them to get things done.
How do you find the time? Figure out what your time is worth: Divide your salary by 2800 to determine how much an hour is worth. Hire/Delegate everything not core that less that that hourly cost.
Person brand fastest to 6 figures.
Invest in things that build a defense moat around what you value (lifestyle, family, etc.). Turn this into a system so you can keep building them.
Plan your things before your business’s things – vacation, thinking, etc. Business will fill in the whitespace.
Writing topics: Broken record conversations – this things people keep asking you.
5 takeaways from the RSA Conference – Cybersecurity Dive – Organizations get 24 hours — if they’re lucky.
Microsoft won’t say if it will patch critical Windows vulnerability under exploit – Ars Technica – 🤦♂️🤷♂️😭
The 10 Commandments of Excellence – Great advise!
Episode #476: Kat Cole – Pragmatic Optimism, Reflection Questions, Humble Confidence, Building Trust, & The Hot Shot Rule – Ton of great notes on this one!
Should I listen to Episode 78?
Lead by action: Bring the coffee/donuts/etc to demonstrate service oriented leadership, vulnerability.
Hold ppl account and set expectations
Ppl closest to the action know what to do long before the leader does
Conflict resolution – humble and service of the team, assuming positive intent first
Connectivity and proximity
Humility, curiosity, confidence builds teams / raise your hand, raise your voice
Excellence mindset/framework: Courage and confidence balanced with Humility and curiosity lead to sustained excellence
Courage is speaking up and saying the uncomfortable things
Confidence is the belief you belong there
Humility is the belief you can’t do it alone, others have value and matter
Curiosity is the wonder, the desire to inquire
Having command over these mindsets, modulate each as the situation requires
Perspective breeds confidence
Find your way to speak – your wedge
“I have a question.” instead of waiting for your space to speak
“I want to add to that.”
“I would be failing you if I didn’t bring up this point.”
Is there something going on?
Burnout – catch it before you start letting people down
Do not over-commit – learn how to gracefully say no
Cancel if you need to
No is a complete sentence
No by saying yes –
Be clear on your values and priorities
Check-in with those closest to you and who matter most, including yourself
What has been the best part of the last 30 days?
What has been the worst part of the last 30 days?
Tell me one thing that I can do differently to be a better partner/teammate?
What has worried you the most in the last 30 days?
What is one thing you are most proud of in the last 30 days
What have you been most grateful for?
You can’t think your way into making a dent
Ask, answer, act.
682: Hustle Culture – Deep Dive – Joy comes from the process/journey, not the destination.
Risky Business #667 – “Shields Up” for cyber’s forever war – Risky Business – Always a great listen.
Why Everyone Needs a Blog – Daniel Miessler – Interesting reasoning behind blogging.
Just Copy What Works – Daniel Miessler –
Examples of barbell strategies – by Dwarkesh Patel – Do a lot of no risk and high risk, but nothing in the middle. Reap bigger rewards? Almost sounds too easy.
Apple’s Passkey Replaces Passwords With iPhone and Mac Authentication – WIRED – I can’t wait for this to be a real option for a environment.
BSidesSF on Twitter: “#BSidesSF Keynote: Building sustainable security programs 🧵 @astha_singhal on factors that contribute to the stress of being a security professional and changes security leaders can make to improve the sustainability of their programs and well being of their teams. https://t.co/xryeSJmNNl” / Twitter – Good steps towards a great security program.
BSidesSF on Twitter: “Talk: Buying Security: A Client’s Guide By @ramimacisabird A comprehensive guide to buying and getting value from security services. * ~200 resources synthesized * ~100 security professionals surveyed A 🧵” / Twitter – How to shop for the right infosec assessment for you.
BSidesSF on Twitter: “Redefining Threat Modeling: Security team goes on vacation Threat modeling is a key part of security programs, but security can become a development bottleneck as your company grows. @askjeevansingh describes how to scale threat modeling by empowering developers 🧵 #bsidessf” / Twitter – How can I apply to my infrastructure team?
Everything and Anything You Need To Know About SOC 2 – High level description of a SOC 2 report and why you need one during vendor due diligence.
Career Advice and Professional Development – Showing up and working hard – the oft missed career advice.
The Law of Connection (Part 1) – John Maxwell Leadership Podcast –
The Law of Connection (Part 2) – John Maxwell Leadership Podcast –
What Is Task Batching? A Comprehensive Guide –
https://www.makeuseof.com/what-is-task-batching/amp/ – I need to add task batching to my routine. I have a bad habit of doing low value work during high energy times.
https://fortelabs.co/blog/the-4-notetaking-styles-how-to-choose-a-digital-notes-app-as-your-second-b – I’ve been a fan of the second brain idea for a while, but I find it hard to keep tamed. I’m a toss up between gardener and librarian. I’ve settled on Bear after switching from Apple Notes to OneNote – but I still done really like any of them.
The 4 Notetaking Styles: How to Choose a Digital Notes App as Your Second Brain – Forte Labs –